The Churches’ Agency for Safeguarding (CAS) began life in 2002 as an agency of the Churches Forum for Safeguarding (CFS) in response to the Government’s creation of the CRB (now DBS) and requirement for all organisations involved in working with children and vulnerable adults to undertake CRB disclosure checks for paid and voluntary workers. CAS began trading as an independent company limited by guarantee and a charity registered with the Charity Commission with the key aim of acting as a Registered Body with the CRB (now DBS) in order to provide its members with a central processing service for Disclosure checks for church ministers, workers and volunteers.
The CAS’ mission is to support Christian churches and organisations to maintain a safe environment for children and vulnerable adults. We achieve this by providing an efficient Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure, PVG Scheme registration and support service, offering safeguarding information, training and advice and influencing public policy on behalf of our members.
CAS has a collaborative ethos. We build and sustain relationships with specialist colleagues within our member denominations, in order to make informed decisions and to work effectively. We have developed a working ethos to which we are committed and which we believe is in line with the expectations of our Member Churches. This ethos can be described as follows:
• We are a Christian-based organisation.
• We expect and enjoy the highest standards of honesty, integrity, confidentiality and loyalty.
• We aim to deliver a high-standard, professional service at highly affordable rates
• We aim to be accessible, friendly, and courteous to our customers
• We operate as a flexible team and are mutually supportive.
• We aim to be informal and non-hierarchical, but try to be clear where responsibility lies.
• We aim to remunerate fairly and not to exploit people’s commitment.
• We aim to develop our staff’s skills and interests to the full.
OUR COMMITMENT TO QUALITY
• We will process an application form for a paid post within two working days.
• We will process an application form for a volunteer post and dispatch it to the DBS within five working days.
• We will dispatch a clearance email for a clear online Disclosure within one working day.
• We can provide support in making an employment decision in the event of an unclear disclosure
• We can provide sound practical advice on safeguarding and children and vulnerable adult protection